The birth of my two preemies

If this is your first time here, please read McKenzie's and Avery's birth stories!

McKenzie's birth story

Avery's birth story

Saturday, December 25, 2010

merry christmas

Today is Christmas/9weeks/63days in the NICU. Tonight I walked around the NICU singing Merry Christmas to me because we walked in and the first thing Phillip noticed was that Avery is off of oxygen again. She is also now the size of a newborn at 5lbs 13oz. She is still in preemie size clothes and newborn clothes are HUGE on her. Tonight when we were in the NICU we dressed Avery up in her Christmas dress and took some pictures of her beautiful little self. After we took some pictures we put her in her Christmas jammies, took some pictures, fed her and then put her back in her bed.

Chloe had a pretty good Christmas too. We spent Christmas Eve at my sister's house so that Chloe, Ethan and Owen could all open their Christmas jammies on Christmas Eve and wear them to bed. We got up early on Christmas morning, Chloe was up at 6am and I was up at 5:30am. My sister made some homemade Cinnamon rolls and coffee for us (hot cocoa for the kids). Then we came to open presents with Chloe's grandma and all her other cousins. She had a great morning and loved everything.

Avery's primary nurse Bernie has really become more than a nurse to us. I told Phillip that she is one of those people that I can see myself having a lifelong friendship with. She is an amazingly caring and kind person with a heart of gold and she always knows how to make me feel better and makes sure i understand exactly what is going on. I know that when Avery is with her that she is getting the kind of care that I as her mommy would give her. I thank my lucky stars everyday that we met her.

I am a big believer in that everything happens for a reason. Through McKenzie's passing we have made some of the most amazing friends ever (thank-you HAND ladies and Susan if you read this). Now through Avery's premature birth I have gotten to make another amazing friend, and even reconnect with someone from the past (if you are reading this, thanks for also being a great nurse Jessica).

I was pretty sad today at having to split another holiday and Phillip really put it all into perspective for me. He looked at me today and told me "Better late than never honey, better late than never. We have already been through never once and if spending Christmas in the hospital means that someday we get to take her home then I will take it". He is right, so honey thank you for keeping me grounded and always knowing and loving my crazy self!

No comments: