The birth of my two preemies

If this is your first time here, please read McKenzie's and Avery's birth stories!

McKenzie's birth story

Avery's birth story

Sunday, December 12, 2010

NICU, day 49

*** This is the blog i was going to write last night (on day 49) but was too tired***
49days already. Avery is 7 weeks old, wow I can't believe I have a 7 week old daughter! My beautiful little bit is turning more and more into a newborn and less and less like a preemie.
I can't believe how lucky I am, I have the most amazing daughters anyone could ever ask for. On the days I feel like giving up and quitting (especially pumping) Chloe and Avery both remind me that Avery is fighting in the NICU for me and I need to continue to fight for my girls. I need to keep on chugging along and keep fighting and doing what is best for my girls. Someday this entire experience will no longer be like a fresh wound and just a distant memory, but a memory that I never want to forget. Thank-you Courtnie for reminding me of that! I never realized how trying this would be, and just how many things Avery's premature birth would affect. I never realized what a strain this would put on my friendships and my marriage.

Anyway, Avery had another really good day. She took 20mL from her nipple feed during the day shift and 28mL from her nipple feed while we were there. They took her pulse ox off of her so while feeding her we can't just watch the monitor, we need to watch her face and her color. We need to know the difference in her color when she is breathing and when she is having "suck apnea" because when she comes home, those monitors are not going to come with her. She is doing amazing though and hasn't had any drops, our ONLY hurdles now are taking feeds by mouth and passing the car seat test. If feels so strange to be so close to bringing my baby girl home. I feel like when we leave the NICU for good, i will be losing a part of myself because they have now become a part of me.
Sigh, it is so bittersweet but I am really looking forward to moving on with both my baby girls by my side and their sister watching out for us!

No comments: