The birth of my two preemies

If this is your first time here, please read McKenzie's and Avery's birth stories!

McKenzie's birth story

Avery's birth story

Thursday, December 2, 2010

NICU, day 39

Tonight we were pretty much on our own as far as Avery went. We changed her diaper, took her temperature, got her dressed and took her out of her isolette on our own. I have come to the conclusion that the day shift nurses DO NOT read charts. There is a note in Avery's chart that says to call my cell phone (and has the number) when they are starting to get low on breast milk because i have a whole stash in my freezer at home. Well the day shift never bothered to call and tell me they were low, and they never bothered to call and tell me they ran out. Instead they gave her formula, I know it is not the end of the world but i am pissed at the fact that they obviously didn't read her fucking chart. I am pissed that i pump every 2hrs all fucking day to give her what she needs and they fucking gave her formula.
Anyway enough of my rant. She is 4lbs 1oz and really looking good. I got to try breastfeeding again but due to them pushing her feedings back 1/2 hour (thanks to the nurse that fed her late) she was too sleepy to nurse. After i tried for a few minutes and nothing i decided it was just going to be a cuddle type of night. I cuddled her for a little while and then i let Phillip cuddle her. Phillip did kangaroo care with her for the first time tonight and it was so cute. Avery's eye exam was pushed back to Friday and she should be getting her first round of vaccinations this coming week. Other than that there is nothing new.








1 comment:

Becca said...

I had that happen to me before H was discharged. I was sooooo pissed that they didn't bother to inform me. It's not like I had a shortage of milk- we had to buy an effing deep freeze to store it all. I know that one time of formula didn't hurt, but it was the principle of it all. When you call multiple times a day and you come up there, there is an opportunity for them to let you know. It sounds like things are really moving a long! I'm so glad that your sweet girl is doing so well. Hang in there, mama!