The birth of my two preemies

If this is your first time here, please read McKenzie's and Avery's birth stories!

McKenzie's birth story

Avery's birth story

Friday, November 5, 2010

NICU, day 12

today was a double good day because not only did my MIL let us borrow her van to go see Avery but we got to make it to our HAND meeting tonight too!
HAND was pretty awesome, thanks to all the ladies (and the husbands too) for a great time and for helping me to laugh a little. I really needed that right now and it honestly could not have come at a better time!

OK so the Avery update! Bernie was there tonight (you will hear that name a lot, she is my FAVORITE nurse) and really made me feel so much better about the last couple days. YES Avery has air in her tummy, but it is getting better and she is doing better with her feeds. I honestly thing that the whole situation has a lot to do with the fact that the other nurses have NOT be swaddling Avery and have NOT been putting her on her tummy like she likes. Avery always does so much better when she is swaddled and on her tummy. So yesterday we were told that we could not get Avery's foot prints done until she got her PICC line out because of the placement. So tonight i asked Bernie if she could maybe get the one unwrapped foot a print for me so i could always remember how little they were. Bernie told me that tonight when she does Avery's weight she will unwrap her foot and get her tiny little prints, then she said she would do her hand prints too!! Now you all know why she is my favorite nurse. I was also told that i need to bring more milk up there because they are upping her feedings every 12hrs and that by the end of the week she will be up to 5oz a day!!!! Holy cow, its a good thing that Phillip and his mom bought me a double pump today (my pump quit!). I can't believe how fast everything seems to be happening. Bernie also told me that Avery is a strong girl and she can't believe she was only a 27 weeker. She said that i did a really good job getting her the calories and nutrients that she need while i was pregnant with her! That made me feel a little better. Bernie said that she expects Avery to have a weight loss tonight when she is weighed because she is actually peeing like she should again and she had  diaper that weighed 20grams today! Avery is back on the nasal cannula and seems to be doing really well. She was so happy and just a total little burrito. I even got to hold her again tonight and as we were leaving Bernie held her out (she was putting her back in her isolette) and let us kiss her head! All in all tonight was a pretty spectacular night!

No comments: