The birth of my two preemies

If this is your first time here, please read McKenzie's and Avery's birth stories!

McKenzie's birth story

Avery's birth story

Monday, November 1, 2010

NICU, day 8

I GOT TO HOLD AVERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
today was amazing, i FINALLY got to hold my daughter. She was so comfortable in my arms, i got to hold her for 30mins instead of the usual 10-15mins. She held her temp pretty well, it only dropped .4 degrees. Avery held her head up and moved around a lot. The nurse told us that for as young as she is she is VERY strong and is doing amazingly well. She told us that she signed up to be Avery's primary nurse, because when babies are born this young they are able to sign up to be primary so that it isnt as much change for the babies and things like that. She said that Avery has a wakeful period where she lays there and looks around and squirms, that starts about 1:30am (the same wakeful period she had when she was inside). Avery LOVES to be swaddled and LOVES to sleep on her tummy with her booty in the air! She started out at a good weight (thank you genes for helping me make big babies!!). She told me as soon as Avery can hold her oxygen levels they will move her feeding tube to her nose and then she can try breastfeeding. Avery is now getting 2ml of breastmilk every feeding (so every 3hrs) but the nurse said that she still gives Avery a few drops in her mouth too because Avery likes the taste! The nurse said that she is pretty sure Avery is going to be an early suckler because she is already starting to try and "root" to nurse!! She told me that she is glad i am pumping because my milk has a high fat content!!! WOOT for making vitamin D milk! so i will now leave you with this picture of me holding Avery....
 





1 comment:

Neomi Thomas said...

Oh honey, you have me smiling ear to ear. I am so glad you finally get to hold her. She is quite the cutie pie! I couldn't imagine having a baby that tiny! So fragile. She's definitely a little fighter, just like her momma! take care and give her a kiss for me. Does Chloe get to see her at all?