The birth of my two preemies

If this is your first time here, please read McKenzie's and Avery's birth stories!

McKenzie's birth story

Avery's birth story

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

SUPER BOOBS

ok well maybe not super boobs but they are doing a pretty good job if i do say so myself! Yesterday i was able to pump and freeze 13oz of milk for Avery. I am hoping to be able to up my supply to pump right around 20oz a day so that as Avery grows i can supply what she demands. Right now Avery is only eating 7ml every 3hrs (so just over 2oz a day) so i have a nice stash building up for when she starts eating more. Right now my goal is to be able to give her breastmilk for AT LEAST the first 12months of her life, but i would like to be able to do it even longer than that being that she is such a preemie. So if anyone has any suggestions to upping milk supply, i am open to them. I am taking fenugreek already, pumping every 2hrs and i can't stomach tea!

2 comments:

Life with my Boys said...

The best thing you can do to up your supply is exactly what your doing. I would also recommend working with a lactation consultant to get her to the breast as soon as she is strong enough. Babies are far more efficient at the breast than any pump~ besides that breastfeeding is absolutely the best experience ever! Hope that helps.

Meegs said...

Ditto Kristie.

But a few other natural milk boosters:
- In addition to the fenugreek, take blessed thistle.
- Drink TONS of water.
- Oatmeal
- Have a dark beer (do it right after you pump and the alcohol will be out of your system by next pump)
- I haven't tried them myself, but I've heard good things about these cookies: http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-chocolate-chip-lactation-cookies-by-noel-trujillo-192346

Good luck. You are doing an amazing thing for your daughter!