The birth of my two preemies

If this is your first time here, please read McKenzie's and Avery's birth stories!

McKenzie's birth story

Avery's birth story

Monday, November 15, 2010

NICU, day 23

Tonight when we got to the NICU, we of course went to scrub in and I noticed that Bernie was in room 1. It made me happy to see her, but sad to see her in room 1 because Avery is in room 3. Bernie saw us and waved, then came out to talk to me. She is going to get Avery's chart tonight to make sure that she is still down as Avery's primary because she should have been assigned Avery tonight. She asked how Avery was doing and told me when she gets a chance she is going to go peek in on her. She is seriously my favorite nurse ever!!

OK on to Avery. She is doing well, but retaining some water, she gained over 100grams overnight (which is over 3 ounces) that is a lot and so they are giving her some lasix to help her pee out the extra water. She is on 28ml still and doing good with it. Today they had to tape her nasal cannula to her nose to keep it in because she wiggles and stretches her head until it comes out of her nose, on purpose might i add. Tonight when we got there the nurse was holding her because she had fed her and knew we would be there soon so she just continued to hold her and wait for us (they all seem to really like Avery). Avery's incubator is nice and personalize and girly now with some receiving blankets from home. I was able to take home a "preemies first pacifier" which is a pacifier for micro-preemies and i got to take home a preemie diaper too. I am hoping to also get to take home her blood pressure cuff (when she is done with it) and everything else. I want to put them all in a keepsake box for her that i can give to her some day.

No comments: